Wednesday, January 11, 2012

I have a cold


I have a very bad cold at the minute – a Dominican cold, which is known as gripe.  I know they are not the same as British colds, as when my Dominican husband had a cold in England he said to me. “There is water in my nose. Why is there water in my nose when I have not been in the swimming pool?” I explained that that a runny nose was the norm for a cold, and suggested he blow his nose to get rid of the water.  He did so and then ten minutes later: “The water has come back into my nose. Where does it come from?” I had no idea how to explain.

My Dominican cold is particularly nasty and everyone has been telling me how to get rid of it and how not to make it worse.  I should not get out of bed and put my feet on the cold floor, nor should I clean the house using disinfectant or bleach.  Both will make it significantly worse and the later may even put my life in danger.

To cure the cold I need a combination of limes, honey, garlic and mashed up onions. Someone suggested mixing with a little aloe vera which is grown everywhere here.  My husband said that when he was a boy in the campo the cure was to drink one’s own urine, or if you were unable to produce any then to drink someone else’s.  Luckily he assured me that it didn’t work so I will leave that off the list to try.

Another tried and tested cure is Veevapporroo.  Now it took me a while to work this one out in English.  It is of course Vicks Vapour Rub! And finally I have just met a man in the colmado who assures me that the only cure is shark oil.  You take a bottle of egg nog and mix the shark oil with it.  Keep in the fridge and then have a drink of it every day.  I have no idea how they get hold of the sharks nor where the oil comes from, and having been a diver I do not approve of the idea of killing sharks for their oil. Nevertheless, as Dominicans are always helpful, the man said he knows someone who has some so the shark oil is on its way here.  And I hate egg nog.

If anyone has any ideas for how to get rid of a cold I would be most grateful.

11 comments:

  1. Hope the cures don't make you feel worse that the illness!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The limes with honey and garlic cure was the one my mom would give us. I'm not sure if it really works, but I would imagine there's some benefit to it due to the vitamin C, the anti-inflamantory benefits of the honey, etc...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I arrived in SD with a lingering cold on Jan 1st from Boston. About a week later it seemed to be progressing as my throat and toz were getting worse. That night my Dominican fiance made me what she called tea, (the honey, onions, garlic, limon mix). Next morning I felt 100% better...in my head? maybe, but power of suggestion or not, this tea has worked twice for me now.

      Delete
    2. Right I will try that next time! Can I put a little rum in it too for medicinal purposes only?

      Delete
  3. I will try limes with honey as that seems one of the more palatable cures!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay when I was in DR and cought a cold my Papi advised me to take a shower. (not getting head or hair wet) followed by rubbing Rum all over my neck upper back and chest. Followed by drinking some roots and going to bed to allow the concoction to work. Since I still had the strengh to merengue I decided to for go the roots.lol Feel better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Coco - I like the idea of the rum as it is something I am quite partial to. Seems a bit of a waste though!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Are you sure you didn't catch the flu? Sounds like it. When I get a cold, here or there, it is just a runny nose and perhaps a mild headache.

    In any case I think the solution is to grab a bagful of good books and mope around doing nothing for 7 days sleeping an inordinate amount of time.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clara is just a cold but is very good as apparently I am not allowed to touch washing powder so can't do the washing! Still have to work online though but I love your idea of a week in bed with books. Bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sorry you had to go through such experience, Lindsay. The thing with colds is that if is left untreated, it will continue to get worse. Such cold like these is really a major setback for anyone in doing their regular routine. I hope you got well perfectly! I suggest you consider professional help to prevent from incurring such cold again in the future.

    Velvet Foronda @ US Health Works

    ReplyDelete
  9. I get runny a runny nose too or maybe it is bc i am prone to Sinus Infections? Just getting over one now and so frustrated they don't have Nyquil to get rid of it like in Canada! Their stupid gripe meds don't help much!!

    So funny D asked when the fluids come from in his nose, good question really!!

    Easton

    ReplyDelete